2010/05/06

Nothing Can Change This Love

I want to dedicate this post to the amazing, fabulous, stunning (and so on, you get the picture) band that is The Wave Pictures. I believe I first heard of them on a winter's or an early spring day in 2008. Maybe it was on that exact same day two years ago, I remember the sky being grey, but it could be I don't remember right. I could find out about it by looking at my old last.fm charts which is something I will probably do the next time I stumble home drunk and turn on the computer before falling asleep with the lights on.

I counted the times I've seen The Wave Pictures play, it's been 5 and a half. One of the best decisions of my life probably was to sell my Cat Power tickets for almost twice the original price (because they were the last tickets to be sold on ebay thanks to my last minute decision) and going to West Germany instead. I remember on this day everything was in a hurry, I remember saying hi to an acquaintance who became a friend who became an acquaintance, I remember standing on the balcony admiring the view over Kottbusser Tor. If you're not tall enough like me you only see the tops of the gradually rotting high-rise buildings that were build in the 50s. Looking at their lit up windows surrounded by the sky fading into every beautiful shade of dusk is one of my favourite things to do in Berlin.
What I don't remember is how I left the club, which U-Bahn I took, where I slept, if I slept at all or stayed awake until the next train came to take me back to Dresden and straight to work. Forgetting about all those little things saddens me every so often. It's easy getting over good times that are gone because there will be so many more good times, but it's a shame to forget about the bits and pieces that made you happy once. This is the line where I could quote the band I'm writing about but I'll leave this for later.

To not make this post a short story I try and not get off the track again. The second time I saw The Wave Pictures is connected to more fond memories because that was at my first Indietracks. It was unexpectedly sunny the whole weekend and I felt very very far away from home in a good way. It will be totally and when I say totally I mean totally totally different this year.
In the same year in fall I saw the band play at an overcrowded club in Berlin again, enjoyed it so much and worked up the courage to talk to the bass player, gave him my e-mail address and offered the band to show them around Dresden because they were going there a few days later like me, being a fangirl in more than one way. Well, I didn't show them around Dresden but I met the rest of the band and talked to the drummer about the death of his grandma.

One year later I was already living in Neukölln and made the wrong decision to go and see the TV Personalities play. I was lucky though and managed to see the last few songs of The Wave Picture's set. Whereas I felt overly embarrassed for Dan Treacy and for everyone in the audience cheering this alcoholic mess on, David, Franic and Jonny made up for it and filled me up with happiness.
Just like last Tuesday at Bang Bang Club (which in my opinion is not the right venue for this lovely band). For this special occassion new friends from another town came to Berlin, we share our love for The Wave Pictures, we shared laughs and we shared whisky. This has to be mentioned because it was the first time in my life I had whisky without coughing after drinking it.

I come to the conclusion The Wave Pictures are connected to all kinds of important aspects of my life. Even though it's only been two years since I was first introduced to them (thank you, anonymous reader) quite a few songs remind me of particular times in my life and particular people, they rekindle memories, my favourite song being Now You Are Pregnant. I used A Long Way Away From Me two times to show people things were coming to an end. (Though I admit "sharing" the song on Last.fm is not the coolest thing to do.)

I love The Wave Pictures for the way they write their songs, turning complex events into simple lyrics, making stories of lost love sound like the most beautiful thing ever, praising change and travelling and glorifying the smallest things in life that make you feel better. There's more to them than this but this is what I like the best.

Last Sunday was spent at a friend's place, at a fabulous friend's place with fabulous people. We (us being 7 to 9 people) hung out for almost seven hours, alternately eating and falling asleep, talking and watching funny videos on the internet, listening to music and reading. I got my hands on the scrapbook "My Best Friend Is You" by Kate Nash which she released with her new album of the same name (the friend mentioned above contributed to the book). I didn't care so much for the bits about the making of her new album and her costumes but I read and re-read the poems and stories that were written by fans and friends and family members about friendship, feelings and love. It made me feel all warm inside, the same feeling I get when I make someone happy or when people who've fallen out with each other get along again, and I wanted to write something like that myself.
I guess I did that now and I'll print it out and put it in my mostly neglected paper diary for remembering the words once I'll have deleted them from the internet because I'm going to feel embarrassed for exposing myself to an anonymous online audience.

What you all should know is The Wave Pictures rule. Big time. I'm glad some things stay the same all the time while major things change, likes and dislikes change, people change and places change.
This is my favourite song, thank you for listening. - Now You Are Pregnant

3 comments:

ndp said...

<3

Jule said...

lovely entry, lovely band, lovely luise!

Anonymous said...

"It's easy getting over good times that are gone because there will be so many more good times, but it's a shame to forget about the bits and pieces that made you happy once."

best quote since ...!